January 11, 2016 is a very important day for a couple of reasons. First, Terrence will be turning 36. Second, a portion of Disneyland including the Rivers of America and Big Thunder Ranch will be closing for a couple of years while Star Wars Land is created. Unfortunately, Big Thunder Ranch will not be reopening. This tucked-away restaurant with hearty BBQ portions and a banjo player playing hits by Katy Perry will simply be a memory. On my latest trip to Disneyland, I decided to take one last visit to Big Thunder and was surprised that I had never tried something on their menu that rivals the Churro: the S’mores Bake.
As an avid camper, I have never been one to shy away from a good s’more, but can Disneyland truly replicate an outdoors classic on such a large scale? The answer is yes. This is the perfect indulgent treat for the holiday season. The crunch of the graham cracker with the gooey goodness of the marshmallow will leave you wanting more…and will probably make you wait a few hours before you ride an attraction. Since many of us will not be able to make it to the park before January 11, light a fire, pour yourself a nice mug of hot cocoa, and make this cold-weather treat at your own home!
The Big Thunder S’mores Bake Recipe
(courtesy of disneyparks.disney.go.com)
1 (10.5-ounce) box fudge brownie mix
1 (1-pound) bag large marshmallows
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot fudge sauce, warmed
8 graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 cake pan with cooking spray. Prepare brownie batter per package directions and pour into prepared cake pan. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Place marshmallows over brownies. Leaving oven door ajar, place marshmallow-topped brownies under broiler 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown, watching very closely to avoid burning.
- Drizzle hot fudge sauce over top of toasted marshmallows.
- Take half of the graham crackers and break them into planks; crush other half of graham crackers into crumbs.
- Sprinkle crushed graham crackers over top of toasted marshmallows, and place graham cracker planks randomly into toasted marshmallows. Serve immediately.